Anaemia is a condition that is caused by the shortage of healthy red blood cells or haemoglobin in the body. Symptoms of anaemia include fatigue, faint heartbeat, dizziness, and weakness. There are various different types of anaemia that exhibit mild to severe symptoms. However, the most common form of anaemia is one that is caused due to iron deficiency.
Anaemia, which is caused due to iron-deficiency, is a common condition that is said to affect roughly 50% of all women and 20% of all men in India. Iron-deficiency anaemia can be treated with the help of diet therapy and lifestyle changes. The best food items to adopt include:
- Greens: Leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, collard greens, and coriander are a rich source of non-heme iron. Add them to your meals to improve overall nutrition.
- Nuts and Seeds: Replace your usual snacks with nuts and seeds such as cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds and more. They are a rich source of iron and improve haemoglobin levels in the blood.
- Dairy Products: Although calcium is said to hinder the body’s ability to absorb iron, having cheese, curd or plain milk separately can improve overall health.
- Beans: Legumes are a rich source of iron for vegetarians. Including beans such as kidney beans, chickpeas, soybeans and peas in your diet increase the intake of iron.
- Vitamin E: Consuming food products that are rich in Vitamin E along with iron-rich food improves the body’s ability to absorb iron. Some Vitamin E rich foods include oranges, tomatoes, and strawberries.
Some habits that can help to improve the body’s ability to absorb iron are:
- Avoid drinking tea or coffee along with meals.
- Preferably don’t eat foods that are rich in calcium along with iron-rich foods as they hinder the body’s ability to absorb iron.
- Reduce consumption of foods containing polyphenols and phytate.
At Jindal Nature Cure Institute, the highly experienced doctors offer personalised diet therapy for anaemia. They take into account your health record and lifestyle and dietary habits to provide you with a diet plan that is best suited for your needs. Visit our hospital and get holistic treatments for various health conditions.